Follows the powerful McLusky family, power brokers in Kingstown, Michigan, where the business of incarceration is the only thriving industry. Tackling themes of systemic racism, corruption and inequality, the series provides a stark look at their attempt to bring order and justice to a town that has neither.
Cast and characters
- Jeremy Renner as Mike McLusky (TBA/10)
- Dianne Wiest as Mariam McLusky (TBA/10)
- Hugh Dillon as Ian (TBA/10)
- Tobi Bamtefa as Bunny (TBA/10)
- Taylor Handley as Kyle McLusky (TBA/10)
- Emma Laird as Iris (TBA/10)
- Derek Webster as Stevie (TBA/10)
- Hamish Allan-Headley as Robert (TBA/10)
- Pha'rez Lass as P-Dog (TBA/10)
- James Jordan as Ed Simmons
- Nishi Munshi as Tracy McLusky
- Nichole Galicia as Rebecca
- Andrew Howard as Duke
- Michael Beach as Police Captain Kareem Moore
- Necar Zadegan as Evelyn Foley
- Jason Kelley as Tim Weaver
- Mandela Van Peebles as Sam
- Rob Kirkland as Police Captain Walter
- Natasha Marc as Cherry
|1||"The Mayor of Kingstown"||Taylor Sheridan||Taylor Sheridan||November 14, 2021|
|2||"The End Begins"||Ben Richardson||Taylor Sheridan||November 14, 2021|
|3||"Simply Murder"||Taylor Sheridan||Taylor Sheridan||November 21, 2021|
|4||"The Price"||TBA||TBA||November 28, 2021|
|7||"Along Came a Spider"||TBA||TBA||TBA|
Notes and Trivia
- The project was first announced in January 2020, when Paramount Network ordered the series.
- By February 2021, the series was transferred over to the Paramount+ streaming service, with Jeremy Renner cast to star.
- The next month, Dianne Wiest joined the cast, with Emma Laird, Derek Webster and Taylor Handley added in April.
- Series co-creator Hugh Dillon joined the cast alongside Pha'rez Lass & Tobi Bamtefa in May.
- Kyle Chandler was revealed to have joined the cast in August following the release of a teaser poster for the series, while Aidan Gillen and Hamish Allan-Headley were added to the main cast.
- Filming on the series began on May 17, 2021, in Toronto and finally wrapped season one on October 2, 2021.
- On October 28, 2021, Paramount+ released the official trailer Mayor of Kingstown starring Jeremy Renner as Mike McLusky, who is the mayor of a fictional city called Kingstown located in the state of Michigan. In Kingstown, incarceration is the only thriving industry. Coincidentally, this is a series that was 10 years in the making as the creators wanted to wait for the right time to finally bring it to life. "This story takes a comprehensive look at the entire prison system, the good, the bad and the ugly of it," executive producer David Glasser said during the Paramount+ TCA day. "These characters are in a situation in a town where they are trying to bring some justice to a town that has none, and that has operated on [that premise]. So, really at the end of the day, they are tackling a flawed system and giving us all parts of the pie to take a look at."
- The 10-episode season of Mayor of Kingstown premiered on November 14, 2021.
- On November 8, 2021 it was revealed by the Kingston’s film office says that the Mayor of Kingstown production is the largest film shoot ever to take place in the city. The filming, which took place over several weeks split into three separate shoots, saw more than $2 million in spending at local hotels. Moreover, according to the film office, the city’s hotels saw some of the highest occupancy rates in the province while crews were in town. Hotels reported being more than 80% booked in August and nearly 75% booked in September 2021.
- On November 10, 2021 Dianne Wiest joked that her character in the series would not be winning the "world's best mom" anytime soon.
- On November 13, 2021 Aidan Gillen mentioned that his character of Milo Sunter "is quite central to the story, a lot of it's set up in terms of how much we see this guy, and how much we know about him, a lot of that was kept back..."
- During the Sunday night debut in the US, which was simulcast on cable as a means of promotion, the crime thriller reportedly pulled in 2.6 million viewers linearly – and many more digitally. The numbers make it Paramount Network's most-watched scripted premiere since 2018.
- On November 15, 2021, it was revealed that while Kingstown, Michigan is not a real place. There is, however, a Kingston, Michigan. Still, Mayor of Kingstown wasn’t actually based on Kingston, MI. It was, however, based on Kingston, Ontario in Canada, co-creator Hugh Dillon’s hometown.
- On November 17, 2021, it was mentioned that while Mayor of Kingstown isn't based on a true story, the series centers around the influential McLusky family of Kingstown, MI, as they navigate the dark sides of the for-profit prison industry. Tackling themes such as systemic racism and police corruption in the process.
- Filming on the first season took place from May 17 to October 4, 2021, in Toronto, and in Kingston, Ontario mainly the Kingston Penitentiary.
According to the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the series reports a 29% approval rating with an average rating of 6/10, based on 21 critic reviews. The website's critics consensus reads, "Despite campaigning with a strong pedigree, Mayor of Kingstown botches its reelection chances by giving constituents too much gloom and grit and not enough reasons to care". The audience score however is a 79%. Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, assigned a score of 54 out of 100 based on 15 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
- at the
- Mayor of Kingstown on Wikipedia
- Mayor of Kingstown” LOGLINES - ViacomCBS Express
- Paramount Network Orders ‘Mayor Of Kingstown’ From ‘Yellowstone’s Taylor Sheridan & Renews ‘The Last Cowboy’ For Second Season TCA - Deadline
- ‘Yellowstone’ Spinoff, ‘Mayor Of Kingstown’, ‘Land Man’ Among Series On Taylor Sheridan’s Upcoming Slate For Paramount+ - Deadline
- Dianne Wiest Joins Jeremy Renner In Taylor Sheridan’s ‘Mayor of Kingstown’ Series For Paramount+ - Deadline
- ‘Mayor of Kingstown’: Emma Laird Joins Taylor Sheridan’s Series For Paramount+ - Deadline
- ‘Mayor Of Kingstown’: Hugh Dillon, Pha’rez Lass & Tobi Bamtefa Join Cast As Production Begins On Taylor Sheridan’s Series For Paramount+ - Deadline
- ‘Mayor Of Kingstown’: Kyle Chandler Joins Jeremy Renner In Taylor Sheridan’s Series For Paramount+ - Deadline
- ‘Mayor Of Kingstown’: Aidan Gillen, Hamish Allan-Headley, Nishi Munshi, Michael Beach, Mandela Van Peebles Among 12 Cast In Taylor Sheridan’s Series For Paramount+ - Deadline
- "In Production" - Ontario Creates
- Mayor of Kingstown Trailer Teams Jeremy Renner & Kyle Chandler on Paramount+ This November - TV Web
- ‘Yellowstone’ Season 4 Gets November Premiere Date With Two Eps — Watch Teaser — That Launch Jeremy Renner Drama ‘Mayor Of Kingstown’ & Sam Elliott Prequel ‘1883’ On Paramount+ - Deadline
- First 'Mayor of Kingstown' Trailer Reveals Taylor Sheridan's New Thriller Series Starring Kyle Chandler & Jeremy Renner - Collider
- Mayor of Kingstown shoot brings millions to Kingston economy: film office - Global News
- Dianne Wiest on ‘Mayor of Kingstown’ role: Definitely not world’s best mom - What to Watch
- Gillan & Emma Laird Interview: Mayor of Kingstown - Screen Rant
- TV Ratings: ‘Yellowstone’ Stays Strong in Week 2, ‘Mayor of Kingstown’ Premieres to 2.6 Million Viewers - Variety
- Where is ‘Mayor of Kingstown’ Filmed? See the Filming Locations - Decider
- Here's How Mayor of Kingstown Is and Isn't Based on a True Story - Popsugar
- The Mayor Of Kingstown (Series) - Production List
- Kingston, Ont. shines on the big screen - CTV News
- Mayor of Kingstown Rotten Tomatoes Score- Rotten Tomatoes
- Mayor of Kingstown Metacritic rating - Metacritic